Acton Parent Teacher Group
September 13, 2004
6:45pm in Room 122
Attendees: Cheryl Camire, Katie Nolan-Denham, Andrea Berry, Elise Miller, Rosemary Dionne, Holly Mooney, Tracy Scully, Brandi Senecal, Diane Belanger, Mary Yeaton, Tim Tyler, Marilyn Young, Debra McLeod, Stacy Howes, Fran Bodkin, Jennifer Flewelling, Guy Labranche, Kyle Rhoads
Discussion – The Secretary’s Report for 8/16/04 was reviewed.
Conclusions – A motion was made by Stacy Howes to accept the minutes as written, motion was seconded by Mary Yeaton, all were in favor. The Secretary’s Report for 8/16/04 was accepted.
Discussion – The Treasurer’s Report for August 17, 2004 to September 12, 2004 was reviewed.
The Treasurer’s Report for August 17, 2004 to September 12, 2004 was reviewed.
Conclusions – A motion was made by Mary Yeaton to accept the report, motion is seconded by Andrea Berry, all were in favor. The Treasurer’s report for 8/17/04 through 9/12/04 was accepted.
Principal's Report – Kyle Rhoads
1.) We have a volunteer coordinator for the school, Sue Small. Sue is planning on having an orientation for volunteers, and she is creating a handbook.
2.) We have a grant for a book room. Teachers can have access to multiple copies of books of different levels for Grades K-4. We will have over $8,000.00 worth of books. At some point we will be
looking for volunteers to help this run smoothly. This is a grant funded program and we are hoping to have this across all the grades.
3.) We have a new position here at Acton Elementary-Flex Language Arts teacher, Jenny Coine. She will be providing instruction during language arts K-4. This allows us to bring the class size
down by having another certified teacher in the classroom which will increase the quality of instruction. She will also be a floating substitute teacher.
4.) We received $26.88 from Target. We are also looking into registering at Hannaford to receive money for the school. Brandi will call and get the flyers for that. We are also signed up with Verizon.
5.) We are very excited about the new playground!!! Thank-you,
Thank-you to all who volunteered their time! There is still more to go up. The rest will be put up in the spring time.
We will not be getting new equipment every week even though it looks that way.
Teacher Representative – Tracy Scully
Could we possibly fundraise for a new laminator that will laminate 25" items? The older one keeps breaking down. This will be $1,500.00 for a new laminator with our old one as a trade, and $750.00 for a used one with a trade.
Does anyone know someone who could build a new trophy case for us that is comparable to the current one?? The new OM Trophy’s are on top of the old case and they are a danger there in the event that someone bumps it. We need to put those in a case not on top of it. Guy Labranche mentioned checking the surplus store in Sanford- maybe they have an old jewelry case??
Mr. Beeler was reimbursed $86.88 for the purchase of new walkie-talkies for the teachers on Recess duty.
Guy LaBranche – Mr. Labranche encouraged anyone to share a skill, fun activity, or volunteer time at the 6th grade camping trip which will be held on September 29th-October 1st. Not only do they need volunteers items such as food, supplies, etc. are needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mr. Labranche encouraged anyone to share a skill, fun activity, or volunteer time at the 6th grade camping trip which will be held on September 29th-October 1st. Not only do they need volunteers items such as food, supplies, etc. are needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tim Tyler - Mr. Tyler would like some new botany plant guides, but they did not come in with this year's budget. He researched it on the internet and the cost is $16.95 per book. He said any Teachers that would like to use them are more than welcome to them. Mr. Tyler asked the PTG to help him out with either all or even part of the cost of these books. He will write it up for Tracy with the exact amount and it will be discussed further.
Mr. Tyler would like some new botany plant guides, but they did not come in with this year's budget. He researched it on the internet and the cost is $16.95 per book. He said any Teachers that would like to use them are more than welcome to them. Mr. Tyler asked the PTG to help him out with either all or even part of the cost of these books. He will write it up for Tracy with the exact amount and it will be discussed further.
Jen Flewelling – Ms. Flewelling introduced herself and thanked the group for being available. She is glad to see the group that she can go to if necessary.
Ms. Flewelling introduced herself and thanked the group for being available. She is glad to see the group that she can go to if necessary.
Marilyn Young - Ms. Young thanked the group for all we do.
Ms. Young thanked the group for all we do.
Boxtops/Campbell’s Soup Labels Update – Brandi Senecal
Last year we collected $369.50 (with $100.00 already there) from Boxtops for Education. Keep them coming!!!
18,575 Campbell’s soup labels have been collected so far (side note:
Campbell’s soup would like 132,000 labels for a new laminator wow!!) The Girl Scouts counted 16,000 of the labels in 2 hours! THANK YOU GIRLS!! We appreciate all you do.
Rosemary Dionne – Volunteer Chairperson
There were 20 volunteer forms in the PTG box! Hopefully we can get some new faces, so it is not always the same people. And you can always volunteer to donate an item even if you cannot be at an event.
Holly Mooney – Fund-Raising Chairperson
Holly thanked Cheryl for getting the Cherrydale Farms information out.
Holly will go though a bag of fundraising pamphlets and check on new ideas and report back in October.
Cheryl Camire – President
We changed the fundraiser to Cherrydale Farms because there were more kid prizes and opportunities for teachers to earn $100.00 in books for their class through student sales.
Stacy Howes suggested we set up a committee and meeting for the Halloween party. We need a volunteer to be the leader of the event. The date for the first meeting is Wednesday September 22nd at 6:30 in the library. Brandi's troop will be in charge of pumpkin painting) We need volunteers to help set-up, bake, get candy, help with games and events. Sue Small did a craft last year. She said she can’t do it again this year.
7th grade open house for laptops will be held the same night as the school open house, but it will be held at 5:30pm in the cafeteria, so parents with multiple kids can filter into the rest of the school after. The Title 1 program has their open house meeting at 6pm.
The PTG will greet parents in the gym at 6:30 and raffle off some of the CherryDale Farms starter box items and then provide refreshments in the cafeteria after open house.
Does anyone have any ideas for a Friday Family night? Rosemary suggested more of a community theme. We will do more brainstorming on that and report back at next month’s meeting.
We would like to have signs made up for the meetings with the PTG mission statement and meeting structure and have them on display at our functions. Burpee signs said they would do it for $40.00 each
We will get a letter ready to be mailed out for the CROPPIN’ FOR KID’S SAKE Fundraiser in March. A lot of bigger businesses need a 4 month advance notice if they are going to donate anything. We will also look into the MEMORIAL GYM in Sanford this year to accommodate more croppers.
Elise Miller commented that maybe we should try to do a variety show again. It is different from the Talent show and back in 1998-99 it brought in a lot of money.
Next month's agenda-
Celebrate the Seasons Update
Halloween Party Update
Fund Raiser Ideas Update
Family Night/Community Events Update