6:45pm Room 122
Attendees: Cheryl Camire, Katie Nolan-Denham, Andrea Berry, Elise Miller, Tracy Scully, Ruth Venell, Karen Sparhawk, Fran Bodkin, Brooke DeForte, Mary Yeaton, Lisa Dewitt
Discussion – The Secretary’s Report for 01/03/05 was reviewed.
Conclusions – A motion was made by Mary Yeaton to accept the minutes as written, motion was seconded by Elise Miller. All were in favor. The Secretary’s Report for 01/03/05 was accepted.
Discussion – The Treasurer’s Report for 01/03/05 through 02/07/05 was reviewed.
Conclusions – A motion was made by Mary Yeaton to accept the report, motion is seconded by Andrea Berry. All were in favor. The Treasurer’s report for 01/03/05 through 02/07/05 was accepted.
President’s and Vice President’s Report- Cheryl Camire & Katie Denham
1.) Can we purchase a storage cabinet for PTG supplies? It will be the same size as the closets in the classrooms. Since we are always borrowing items from the front office it would be better if we could have our own stuff and keep it in the closet. It would be a wise investment. Could we possibly put in the Café near the juice/coffee machine? That would give the PTG Board access to everything we need without it being in an enclosed/locked room. Some places to look for the item may be the office supply store in Sanford, Mardens, and Ruth’s Recyclable. Cheryl asked if someone could shop around for us to find one.
2.) Rosemary Dionne suggested we redo the bulletin board near the central office when you come into the school. We need to update this and making it decorative. Katie has a few crafty ideas and Andrea could do some stamping for it. We will look into updating it very soon.
3.) Green School recycles cell phones and ink cartridges. The Green School pays for shipping and we will get money for each item. Mrs. Heon has boxes. The PTG is trying to take this over. We need to encourage everyone to RECYCLE. We also thought maybe we could put a bin or two in the library and town hall. More information on this will be forthcoming. KEEP RECYCLING THOSE USED INK CARTRIDGES AND CELL PHONES.
Principal's Report – Kyle Rhoads (Kyle was not present this month. Ruth Venell was present with information.)
Ruth Venell thanked us for the literacy backpacks. She said they are on their way out the door and into the community. Someone donated Combination TV/VCR to the school. Right now it is in the conference room and with a roaming cart it would be more accessible to others. Ruth will look into a price for us to consider.
Teacher Representative – Tracy Scully
Jennifer Flewelling has the totals for the Community Service Kits the class did. It was $30.00 for Shipping and $54.56 for the extra items she needed to purchase. She will be reimbursed $84.56.
The Talent Show will be held on Saturday, May 14th. Tracy passed all her information on to Sue Giguere who will be running the event this year. Jen Goodwin will help with the advertising and Lorri Driscoll will do the programs again. Sue would like to have a STRICT DEADLINE for everything this year.
Karen Sparhawk & Lisa Dewitt – Thanks for all we have done in the past and what we did to help out for the Literacy Night last year also. This years will be on March 31st from 5:30-7:30pm. There will be different stations for parents to go to. We would also like to have Pizza again. We are asking the PTG to help pay for the pizza. Karen called the Trading Post and they will give Cheese Pizzas for $6.50 with 12 slices in each pizza. Last year Balloons were also handed out to each child. Last years totals were $40.00 for the balloons and $80.00 for the Pizzas. Karen and Lisa can get free cups, plates and napkins from Hannaford. Get the parents to bring in drinks and desserts. A flyer will be sent home soon and Karen and Lisa will get an exact number of people coming. A question was brought up if this was in the budget from year to year? Can it be looked into to be budgeted for next year? Ms. Calvo will also open up the library for the Preschool Kids so they can do other things. Elise Miller motioned to pay for the literacy night. Andrea Berry seconded the motion. All were in favor. We can’t wait.
Margaret Garland – Thanks for all we have done and for last year. She didn’t need help for last year’s field trip. But thanks again for all we do.
Brooke Deforte - Thanks for all we do. It is greatly appreciated.
Boxtops/Campbell’s Soup Labels Update – Katie Denham - Nothing to report this month.
Campership – Stacy Howes (Stacy was unable to attend so the information was passed on by Cheryl Camire.) Stacy met with Cami Davis and Mrs. Wendell. There are concerns about the physicals for the campers. There is no access to a physician. In the past the children have had their physicals on school time but that cannot be done now. The physicals were originally planned with the sports physicals. There is an issue with Confidentiality. We need to select candidates and hope the parents support the cause and obtain a physical for the child themselves. We need to make the selections soon because the camps fill up very fast.
It was asked that the PTG take over the Campership but it is a big thing and we cannot really do it. We also need teacher input. The teachers can be on the committee also as long as it is not on school time. The biggest concern is the Physicals. Last year 37 children went to camp. Stacy has another new camp to look into for this year. Should we send out applications to parents?? We cannot do teacher referral due to confidentiality. Another meeting will be set up. The committee will consist of Katie Denham, Cami Davis, Stacy Howes, Carol Wendell, Brooke DeForte, and Fran Bodkin. Also a question was brought up of where the funds come from for this. They come from the Teacher’s Jeans Day, Calendars for Campership and Private Donors. The next meeting date will be announced as soon as possible.
Parent/Faculty Basketball Game – Tracy & Cheryl
The game is scheduled for Friday, February 11th at 6:30PM with a snow date of Friday, March 4th. We need help with organizing the presentations of the awards and game ball. Andrea and Holly will be at the door. Rosemary will do the 50/50. The raffle item is an afghan by Linda Heon. Brandi will run the concession stand. Kyle will do the awards presentation with Andrea helping out. The awards are the Ray Squire Award going to Jim and Deb Crowley for all the donations of Ice Cream and toppings, etc for all the Ice Cream Socials. The Mary Dennett Award is going to the Playground Committee who is Dennis Long, Jen Goodwin, John Sherman and Carol Eddy. We also need to keep our eyes out for the kids. If they are playing in the hallways we need to direct them back to the gym where they need to be.
Volunteer Updates – Rosemary Dionne (Rosemary was not in attendance)
Rosemary wanted to remind everyone that the third week in April is Volunteer week. More information for that will be forthcoming.
Fund Raising Update – Holly Mooney (Holly was not in attendance)
Cheryl asked if we wanted to do the CherryDale Farms Fund Raiser again. If we do we need to register by April 15th to get the incentives for the school. We got our books for registering early last year. They are a lot of hardcover books and most of them have received awards. We will donate them to the Library and Title one. Mrs. Garland suggested we have a stamp or stickers that say Donated by the PTG. Katie will make stickers to go in the books. We could mark books or other items. Cheryl receives a lot of miscellaneous items from various companies and she would like to share them with classrooms.
Scrappin’ For Schools
We will not be doing the scrap booking event this year! It takes 3 months and "manpower" to organize this event, so we will have to wait until next year.
Comedy Show at Spectator’s
We will be getting a list soon and we can go through it and decide what we would like to do. More information on this event will be forthcoming.
Andrea Berry brought up a new fundraiser for the school to go along with the Campbell’s Labels and the Boxtops for Education. Start collecting Tyson Food labels. They are worth .24¢ per label. Andrea will send out a notice with the Box Tops, Campbell’s Labels, Tyson and Verizon fund raisers to remind parents of all the things they can do and collect for the school.
We need to put the banners up at the basketball game.
The student council wants to do a PENNIES FOR TSUNAMI RELIEF. Would this interfere with the PENNIES FOR PLAYGROUND? Ms. Calvo said that instead of that they can sell candy so it does not interfere with the Playground fund raiser. The Penny drive is for the month of March. We need 16 containers and Mrs. Garland has some she will get to us. Again we will do it by K-4 and 5-8 and the winning class with get a pizza party.
Set Next Agenda
President and Vice President Report
Parent/Faculty Basketball Game
Fund Raising Updates
Katie Denham motioned for the adjournment of the meeting at 8:11pm.
Andrea Berry seconded the motion. All were in favor.